These days, all of the gadgets that we own include an integrated or built-in camera. Webcams on our devices are necessary and useful as they enable us to capture images and record videos on our devices. And we all use the cameras on our smartphones and computers mostly for making video calls to our friends, relatives, or we use it for some business conferencing as well. And like all other devices, Windows computers also come with an integrated webcam that any user can easily access. Undoubtedly, the webcam can be useful. But it is also possible that you might want to disable it for some reason. For instance, you want to disable the webcam on your Windows 10 computer because you are worried about your privacy and safety. Webcam on your Windows 10 computer can be triggered by the apps and services. The apps or services on your computer can use the camera.
And if you are concerned about this, then there surely is a way through which you can disable the webcam on your Windows 10 computer. Are you a user of a Windows 10 computer? Do you know how any user can disable the webcam on their Windows 10 computer? If you want to get the procedure for performing this task, then you are on the right track now. Here, we will show you how one can disable the webcam on their Windows 10 computer. To get the method, please consider following this full post.
The Process for Disabling the Webcam on Windows 10
There can be any reason explaining why you want to disable your Windows 10 computer’s integrated camera. But doing this can be safe if you have kids who use your computer. There are some instant messaging and interactive websites that can access your laptop’s camera. And some of these sites might not be safe or child-friendly. So, for the sake of your kid’s safety, it’s always best to disable the webcam. Also, if you want, you can even disable the camera on your Windows computer for some particular apps. Here, we are going to provide you with the steps considering both the possibilities. You will be able to disable the integrated camera on your Windows 10 computer using the Device Manager tool. And to do so for some particular apps, you will have to go through the settings page on your computer. Let’s see both of the methods in detail now:
The Steps to Disable the Webcam on Windows 10 Using Device Manager
Here are the steps that any Windows 10 user will have to follow to disable the integrated camera on their computer system:
- Start the process by launching the Device Manager window on your Windows 10 computer. To reach the Device Manager section, go to the Start menu and then type the term “device manager” or “devmgmt.msc” in the search bar that appears on your screen. And then press the enter key.
- After you reach the Device Manager window, click on the arrow icon to expand the “Cameras” or “Imaging Devices” menu.
- And now, you will have to right-click on your camera name and then select the option of “Disable Device.”
- And now, you will be asked to confirm your action. Click on “Yes” to complete the task. And that’s all. You have successfully disabled the webcam on your Windows 10 computer. And after completing the task, you can close the Device Manager window.
And now, let’s see how any Windows 10 user will be able to disable the webcam for some particular apps:
The Steps to Disable the Windows 10 Webcam for Selected Apps
Please follow the steps to disable the webcam on your Windows 10 computer for some selected apps:
- First of all, go to the Settings on your computer by clicking on the Start button.
- And after reaching the Settings screen, proceed by clicking on the option of “Privacy.”
- And now, navigate to the Camera section and toggle on the slider given under the option of “Allow Apps to Access Your Camera.”
- And then, scroll down a bit, after which you will be able to view a list of the apps with a toggle button given next to each app. You can turn on the toggle switch to allow the app to access your computer’s camera. And that’s all.
So, now, you know how you can disable the webcam on your Windows 10 computer. If you have kids in your house, then you can follow the second method for disabling the webcam for some selected apps and services. Try any of these procedures now. And if you wish to know more, you can visit the website.