Cystic Fibrosis (CF) is a genetic disorder that affects thousands of individuals worldwide. Understanding its inheritance pattern is crucial for families and healthcare professionals. CF is inherited in an autosomal recessive manner, meaning that both parents must carry a faulty CF gene for their child to have the condition. With each pregnancy, there is a 25% chance of having a child with Cystic Fibrosis, a 50% chance of the child being a carrier like the parents, and a 25% chance of the child not inheriting the faulty gene.
The CF gene mutation primarily affects the production of mucus, leading to the buildup of thick, sticky mucus in the lungs and other organs. This can result in respiratory problems, digestive issues, and other complications. Early diagnosis through newborn screening and genetic testing allows for proactive interventions and management strategies that can significantly improve quality of life for individuals with CF. Genetic counseling plays a crucial role in educating families about CF inheritance, empowering them to make informed decisions for their future.