Cannabis testing services involve the use of analytical chemistry technologies to test cannabis and cannabis-derived products for contaminants, potency, and composition. This helps ensure product safety and compliance with regulations. The services include testing for pesticides, residual solvents, heavy metals, microbiological impurities, and analyzes cannabinoid and terpene profiles. Proper testing is important for both medical and recreational cannabis markets.
The global cannabis testing services market is primarily driven by the stringent regulatory framework imposed by governments across various countries globally. For instance, states and countries where cannabis is legal medicinally or recreationally have set standards regarding cannabinoid and terpene profiles, residual solvent limits, and action levels for contaminants like pesticides, microbes, and toxic metals. Testing helps ensure product safety and quality. Additionally, with increasing commercialization of cannabis, the demand for testing various cannabis batches pre- and post-production is also growing significantly. This helps companies monitor consistency and adhere to quality standards.
The global Cannabis Testing Services Market Size is estimated to be valued at US$ 1881.19 Mn in 2023 and is expected to exhibit a CAGR of 13.% over the forecast period 2023 to 2030, as highlighted in a new report published by Coherent Market Insights.
- Strong technological capabilities in analytical testing techniques such as chromatography and spectroscopy enable accurate testing.
- Growing demand for safe and regulated cannabis and cannabis products is driving the need for reliable testing services.
- Stringent regulatory standards for cannabis quality is increasing the need to outsource testing to certified third-party laboratories.
- High cost of instrumentation and skilled labor required for cannabis testing increases the costs for testing service providers.
- Lack of federal regulations and inconsistencies across state regulations pose challenges for multi-state service providers.
- Increased legalization of medicinal and recreational cannabis in more US states and countries is opening new markets for testing service providers.
- Development of new testing methodologies such as terpene profiling and genetic screening offers scope to expand service portfolios.
- Consolidation of smaller testing laboratories by the big players increases competitive pressures.
- Regulatory changes pertaining to cannabis legalization can impact demand for certain testing services.
The global cannabis testing services market is expected to witness high growth, exhibiting CAGR of 13% over the forecast period, due to increasing legalization of cannabis in major markets.
North America dominated the global market in 2023, accounting for around 65% share. This was attributed to majority of Canada and US states legalizing medicinal and recreational use of cannabis. California, Washington, Colorado are some of the key regional markets in North America. Meanwhile, Europe and Latin America are emerging as lucrative markets due to increased legalization of medicinal cannabis.
Key players operating in the cannabis testing services market are Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc., Merck KGaA, Shimadzu Corporation, PerkinElmer, Inc., Steep Hill Labs, Inc., CB Scientific Inc., Alpha-CAT, Orange Photonics, Inc., Gobi Labs, MyDx, Inc., SC Laboratories Inc., Restek Corporation, Waters Corporation, PharmLabs LLC, Eurofins Scientific, EVIO Labs, ProVerde Laboratories, Inc., Praxis Laboratory, Atlantic Test Labs, Inc., American Clinical Solutions, LLC., MCR Labs, Cannalysis, Aurum Â Laboratory, LLC, The Niva Labs, Encore Labs, SGS Canada Inc., Agricore Laboratories, and California Cannabis Testing Labs.