IMechE Supported Registration Scheme (SRS) allows a graduate engineer, sandwich placement student, Engineering Technician and any of its members (who are not with an organization recognized for the Monitored Professional Development (MPDS) to record their Initial Professional Development.

SRS offers a discipline and regular reporting framework to record your activities as your work towards attaining professional registration.

You will be able to benchmark your progress (with the help of your mentor) against the Engineering Council’s UK Standard for Professional Engineering Competence (UK-SPEC) to determine when you can apply for Chartered or Incorporated Engineer registration.

Your created records will also give you a valuable resource for compiling your application. In addition, you will even be able to import content directly into the application.

How to start for IMechE SRS:

The following are the things you need to do:

Become a member at the appropriate grade. If you are a graduate, then you first need to be an Associate member. On the other hand, if you are an undergraduate, you can register on SRS as an Affiliate member.

·        Find and register an appropriate mentor

·        Fill up the registration form

·        Submit your SRS registration form

When you do this, IMechE will do the following things:

·        It will process your SRS registration form

·        Confirm your online access

·        After that, you can use Career Developer to plan, report and review your progress to attain professional registration.

How to find a mentor?

A mentor on SRS is not necessarily professionally registered, but they have to have a thorough understanding of the Engineering Council UK-SPEC competencies. Any person who fulfills these requirements can become your mentor.

You can find a mentor in your workplace, socially or by means of networking at IMechE’s events or regional activities.

Career Developer:

Career Developer is an online portal, which can allow you to manage your professional development quickly, easily and conveniently.

You can use it at any stage of your engineering career, whether you are a practising engineer who is gaining competence by means of Initial Professional Development (IPD), or an experienced engineering professional willing to keep track of your Continuing Professional Development (CPD) and career progression.

Dependent on the level you are at in your professional career, you will be required to use a certain tool (or complete an application form) before you can access some areas of Career Developer.

Who can become an IMechE Associate Member?

A candidate who is a graduate with an undergraduate degree in a science, technology, engineering or mathematics (STEM) subject can join IMechE as an Associate member. They need to have one of the below-given things:

An undergraduate degree that is recognized by IMechE

UK undergraduate engineering degree

UK undergraduate physics, maths or other relevant science degrees

International engineering degree fulfilling IMechE’s academic requirements

Open University undergraduate degree of acceptable profile

Unfortunately, a qualification that is not equal to a British bachelor’s degree (Level 6) or above (such as HNCs, HNDs and Foundation degrees) doesn’t meet the academic requirements for attaining IMechE membership as an Associate).