MetaMask wallet is a cryptocurrency wallet that was established to manage and store funds related to cryptocurrency. It was launched approximately 7 years ago in the year 2016. And it currently operates on both Android and iOS. It is a browser extension as well as a mobile application.
The founder of MetaMask is a technological company of Block chain software named ConsenSys which is owned by Joseph Lubin who lives in New York.
In this blog, we will discuss what to do if someone gets unauthorized access to MetaMask Wallet and its reasons.
Steps to follow in case of unauthorized access
If some unknown person gets access to your account without your approval, then you should follow the steps mentioned below as soon as possible.
- On another browser, you have to download and install MetaMask, and in case you are using a mobile application you will need another device and create a MetaMask new account.
- If you have not backed up Secret Recovery Phrase, then you will not be able to access your account.
- Now, again create a new MetaMask Wallet profile on your browser or mobile phone.
- And then enter your Secret Recovery Phrase code carefully. And remember that it is a secret code so do not share it with anyone else.
- Then you will see an option for a Compromised account, you have to click on it.
- Now, you have to transfer all of your remaining funds to the account you have newly created.
- After the transfer, you can now stop using your old account for any transactions and use your new account using the same Secret Recovery Phrase.
- And, now you have to report the issue to the authorities.
But if you are wondering whether you will receive the money for the transactions that have been made without your authorization then the answer is no. Unfortunately, you cannot reverse the transaction that has been made on MetaMask Wallet nor can youa recover your missing funds. Your issue can be taken into consideration but it is not fully assured that you will receive your funds back or not.
Reasons for this error
The demand for this application is increasing day by day which makes it more exposed to the various viruses that could attack your wallet. The above-mentioned error could have been occurred because of the following reasons:
- There is a presence of some malicious software on your device that has access to your private information. Therefore, scan your device for viruses.
- Or you have recently visited a website that was harmful to your device which has stored all of your private information such as your login ids and password.
- You have entered your Secret Recovery Phrase code on any other website.
Before 2019, MetaMask Wallet was only used for the Chrome and Firefox extensions. But with its increase in popularity among cryptocurrency users, it decided to introduce its mobile application.
In this blog, we discussed the steps to be taken in case someone gets unauthorized access to your MetaMask Wallet and the reasons why it may have happened.