Vitiligo is a condition that affects almost 2% of the world’s population. The melanocyte or the color producing cell of the body undergoes cell death In this condition, the cells resulting in whitish discolouration of the skin. Vitiligo brings with it considerable social stigmatization and discrimination, along with lower self esteem and negative emotions at times. Any physician addressing this condition should keep this in mind and be sensitive towards this issue with their patients.
Types of Vitiligo
- Vitiligo Universalis: It is the most uncommon and extreme form of vitiligo. It leads to complete or nearly complete depigmentation of the entire body surface.
- Vitiligo Generalized: It is the most common form which involves loss of pigment in patches of skin all over the body. It typically occurs on the neck, face, scalp, and around body openings such as mouth and genitals.
- Vitiligo Segmental: It can be distinguished from vitiligo generalized by its unique lateral distribution and rapid stabilization. It ranges in size from millimeters to centimeters. Segmental vitiligo typically involves a single segment on only one side of the body.
Treatment options for vitiligo
With the advancement in cosmetic dermatology, many new skin treatment options are available these days to effectively manage the condition. These treatments are customized according to the patient’s needs and the doctor’s observation.Dadu Medical Centre provides the Best Vitiligo Treatment In Delhi.
- NBUVB: It is also known as Narrowband UVB. This treatment helps in treating skin problems like vitiligo.
- PUVA Light Therapy: It has emerged as a great technique to stimulate melanocytes to produce melanin in the areas affected by vitiligo.
- Melanocyte Transfer & Split-thickness Skin Grafting: It aims to replace the depigmented skin with the pigmented skin to restore the original color of the body.
There are various myths associated with Vitiligo
Myth 1: Vitiligo is not treatable
Vitiligo is a skin condition just like any other skin problem. It is an autoimmune disease which can be treated medically, although the sad part is many of the people in our country who suffer from this condition aren’t even aware that it is possible to get rid of these patches on the skin. So, break free of the discomfort and get it treated!